The military authorities in Guinea-Bissau say they have uncovered and stopped a plot to overthrow the government, just days before the country’s election campaigns officially begin.
According to army officials, several senior officers have been arrested over their alleged involvement in the attempted coup. The Deputy Chief of Staff, Gen. Mamadu Ture, told reporters in Bissau on Friday that the suspects planned to disrupt the upcoming elections, though he did not reveal how many people were detained.
Reports indicate that one of those arrested is Brigadier General Daba Nawalna, who heads a military training center located about 30 kilometers from the capital.
President Umaro Sissoco Embaló, who is seeking re-election, had earlier warned that his administration would not allow any form of unrest during the campaign period. He said security agencies had been directed to ensure peace and safety for all candidates.
Guinea-Bissau has a long history of political instability and military coups since gaining independence from Portugal in 1974. Although the country has been relatively stable in recent years, tensions have resurfaced ahead of the elections.
The latest incident comes amid growing concerns over the rise of military coups across West Africa, with countries like Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, and Guinea all experiencing takeovers in recent years.
Authorities say investigations into the alleged plot are ongoing, and the government has assured citizens that the elections will proceed as planned.