|

FG Opens Diplomatic Talks With Burkina Faso Over Detained Military Aircraft

The Federal Government has stepped up diplomatic efforts to secure the release of a Nigerian Air Force C-130 aircraft and...

The Federal Government has stepped up diplomatic efforts to secure the release of a Nigerian Air Force C-130 aircraft and the soldiers on board who were detained in Burkina Faso over an alleged airspace violation, according to a report by The PUNCH.

The aircraft and personnel, now spending a third day in Burkinabe custody, were seized by the country’s military authorities after reportedly flying into the Sahel nation without proper clearance.

Military sources confirmed to The PUNCH on Wednesday that the soldiers and aircraft remain in detention. They added that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has taken over negotiations to ensure their safe release.

“They have not been released yet. The matter is now being handled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. We hope they will be released soon with their intervention,”

a military source told The PUNCH.

The spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, also confirmed the ministry’s involvement. He stated that the Nigerian Embassy in Ouagadougou had opened discussions with the Burkinabe authorities.

“The Embassy of Nigeria in Ouagadougou is engaging with the host authorities to secure their release,”Ebienfa told The PUNCH.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that Burkina Faso’s Government, through the state-run Agence d’Information du Burkina, announced that a Nigerian C-130 aircraft carrying 11 soldiers was compelled to land after allegedly entering its airspace without authorisation.

The Confederation of Sahel States (AES) condemned the incident as a “serious violation” of the sovereignty of its member states, insisting that the aircraft lacked the required overflight clearance.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Air Force maintained that its personnel are safe and being treated courteously by Burkinabe officials. A statement by the Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ehimen Ejodame, clarified that the aircraft was on a ferry mission to Portugal when it developed a technical issue shortly after departing Lagos on December 8, 2025.

In line with established safety protocols, the crew diverted to the nearest airfield — Bobo-Dioulasso — where the aircraft landed safely.

Ejodame added that arrangements were being made for the crew to resume the mission as soon as possible, noting that the Air Force remains fully committed to operational safety and international aviation standards.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign up for the HB Newsletter

Get stories that matter delivered directly to your inbox

OTHER STORIES

Get the stories that matter most delivered directly to your inbox

© Copyright 2025 – HB Report. All Rights Reserved

HB Logo

Sign up for the HB newsletter

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use, and agree to receive content that may sometimes include advertisements. You may opt out at any time.