Donald Trump has confirmed that US forces safely rescued a second airman who went down inside Iran, calling the operation “one of the most daring search-and-rescue missions in US history.”
Trump said the airman had been trapped behind enemy lines in mountainous terrain, sustained injuries, and is now safe. He added that an earlier rescue had been kept secret to protect the second mission.
The announcement comes as tensions in the Middle East escalate. Iran launched missiles and drones at Israel and Kuwait early Sunday, following weeks of conflict triggered by US-Israeli strikes and Tehran’s retaliation.
Trump had warned Iran to strike a deal within 48 hours or face severe consequences, renewing a previous ultimatum over the Strait of Hormuz, a key oil and gas route. Iranian military officials rejected the threat, warning of retaliatory action.
Gulf states reported active air defence responses. Kuwait and Israel confirmed interceptions of incoming attacks, while the UAE said missiles targeted aluminium industries. Bahrain reported a refinery fire and injuries from intercepted drones.
Strikes have increasingly targeted economic and industrial sites. Iranian authorities said a petrochemical hub in the southwest was hit, killing five people, while US-Israeli strikes hit a cement plant and trade terminal near the Iran-Iraq border. Iran has continued missile and drone attacks on Israel and US allies in the Gulf.
Tensions also affected Iran’s Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant, where a strike killed a security guard. Russia, involved in operating the plant, evacuated workers and condemned the attack. Iranian officials warned that repeated strikes could risk radioactive fallout affecting nearby Gulf capitals.
The International Atomic Energy Agency said radiation levels had not increased but expressed concern over repeated strikes near nuclear facilities. Former IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei urged Gulf governments to prevent further escalation.
Israel reported striking thousands of targets in Lebanon in clashes with Iran-backed Hezbollah. Residents near the Syria-Lebanon border were ordered to evacuate, and anti-war protests took place in Tel Aviv.
The ongoing strikes on military, economic, and nuclear targets have raised fears of wider regional instability and potential disruptions to global energy supplies.