At least ten people were killed and another ten injured in a shooting in Bekkersdal, a township located about 40 kilometres southwest of Johannesburg, authorities confirmed on Sunday. The attack marks the second major mass shooting in South Africa this month.
Police say the motive for the attack remains unclear. “Some victims were shot at random on the streets by unidentified gunmen,” said Brigadier Brenda Muridili, spokesperson for Gauteng police.
The shooting occurred close to a tavern in Bekkersdal, an economically disadvantaged area near several of the country’s gold mines. The injured were rushed to nearby hospitals for treatment.
Earlier this month, on December 6, gunmen attacked a hostel near Pretoria, killing twelve people, including a three-year-old child. Officials said the site was illegally selling alcohol.
South Africa, with a population of approximately 63 million, continues to struggle with high levels of violent crime, including one of the world’s highest murder rates.
Police investigations are ongoing as authorities work to identify the perpetrators of the latest attack.