|

Cameroon’s Electoral Body Bars President Biya’s Main Rival from Presidential Race

Cameroon’s electoral commission, ELECAM, on Saturday announced that opposition politician Maurice Kamto was barred from contesting the 12 October presidential...

Cameroon’s electoral commission, ELECAM, on Saturday announced that opposition politician Maurice Kamto was barred from contesting the 12 October presidential polls.

The renowned university professor and former government minister was widely seen as the most serious challenger to  long-standing President Paul Biya.

ELECAM said Kamto had failed to comply with legal requirements by accepting a nomination from the Cameroon Renaissance Movement, which boycotted legislative and municipal elections in 2020.

It says that under Section 121 of the electoral code, this means the movement is no longer eligible to put forward a candidate.

Kamto had come in second place with 14 per cent of the vote in the last elections in 2018, which Biya won by a landslide amid allegations of fraud.

The 71-year-old’s exclusion raises the risk of protests and leaves just 12 out of the more than 80 applicants hoping to replace the 92-year-old Biya in the field.

In power for almost 43 years, Biya announced earlier this month that he would seek an eighth seven-year term in office.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign up for the HB Newsletter

Get stories that matter delivered directly to your inbox

OTHER STORIES

Get the stories that matter most delivered directly to your inbox

© Copyright 2025 – HB Report. All Rights Reserved

HB Logo

Sign up for the HB newsletter

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use, and agree to receive content that may sometimes include advertisements. You may opt out at any time.