|

Mexico Sends Thousands Of Soldiers To Stop Violence After Death Of Drug Lord

Mexico has deployed thousands of soldiers to bolster security after a wave of violence erupted following the death of a...

Mexico has deployed thousands of soldiers to bolster security after a wave of violence erupted following the death of a powerful drug lord, the country’s security minister has said.

Defence Secretary Ricardo Trevilla said an extra 2,500 soldiers had been sent to western Mexico on Monday, with the government saying about 9,500 troops have been deployed overall since Sunday.

At least 20 states have seen unrest since Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes – better known as “El Mencho” – died in custody on Sunday shortly after being captured by Mexican special forces in Jalisco state.

The Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG) is one of Mexico’s most feared criminal organisations and its leader was the country’s most wanted man.

At least 25 members of Mexico’s National Guard have died in Jalisco state since the violence erupted, the country’s security minister said.

El Mencho was captured after forces tracked down a romantic partner he was meeting, according to defence secretary Trevilla.

The drug lord was was seriously injured in a firefight between his bodyguards and the military commandos deployed to capture him, and he died while the military was transporting him from the town of Tapalpa to the capital, Mexico City.

At least six of El Mencho’s security guards were also killed in the operation, while three members of the Mexican military were injured, the defence ministry said.

Security secretary Omar Garcia Harfuch said a prison guard, a member of the state prosecutor’s office and 30 members of El Mencho’s criminal organisation were killed in the unrest since his death, according to the AFP news agency.

Mexico’s President Claudia Sheinbaum has praised the army’s operation that led to El Mencho’s death and said her priority is to guarantee peace and security across the country.

“There is calm, there is government, there are armed forces and there is a lot of co-ordination,” Sheinbaum said.

As news of El Mencho’s death spread, members of his cartel launched attacks in many towns and cities where the CJGN is active.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign up for the HB Newsletter

Get stories that matter delivered directly to your inbox

OTHER STORIES

Get the stories that matter most delivered directly to your inbox

© Copyright 2025 – HB Report. All Rights Reserved

HB Logo

Sign up for the HB newsletter

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use, and agree to receive content that may sometimes include advertisements. You may opt out at any time.